Looking for a good Anti-Virus application? There are many selections out there, and quite frankly I would only recommend less than a handful of these especially since most of them have an annual service fee. AVG is "in my opinion" an excellent AV program. I have been using AVG for about 7 years, and have always recommended it to home users. It has always been free to home users. In fact, at one point I had to AV programs on my work laptop, I had AVG and CA ETrust. Now I'm not trying to deface ETrust, because it is a good AV program, but it is not free. To my surprise, AVG found a virus that was not picked up by ETrust. The company I used to work for paid millions of dollars to CA for this product including maintenance and all the licensing fees, but AVG the free application saved the day. AVG is Windows Vista compatible, I have been running it on my Vista Home Premium PC for quite some time now, and hasn't failed yet. Give it a try, what could it hurt, after all it's free. You can download your copy at http://free.avg.com/.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have to agree with you about AVG. I was apprehensive about using it at first, because my thinking was "How possibly good could a free AV product be?". So I continued to struggle with McAfee, Panda, and the ever popular resource hog Norton (aka Symantec). I've used and paid for each of those at one time or another and finally got sick of them and tried AVG. I was very pleased and almost amazed with AVG. That has to be over 6 years now and I have been using it ever since on every computer I owned or setup for other people. I am still amazed at the quality of the product, the lack of continuous advertizing (which is common for free software), its resource usage, and it's ease of use. I have still not paid a single cent for the AVG AV software, but I have purchased other products from AVG Technologies (formerly Grisoft) and have been very pleased with those as well. AVG Technologies is proving that you can provide great quality software at no cost for a long period of time and still be a reputable and good standing company. Kudos to them. So I also highly recommend their AV and Anti-Spyware products.