Okay, so I know this is a "freeware" critic blog, but this issue has taken me several cycles to figure out. There wasn't much on Google that I could find, so I decided to blog my fix. Here is the issue, in Microsoft Word 2007 I would click on the office button --> Prepare --> Properties in order to see metadata and instead of seeing the metadata I got the following message "The Document Information Panel was unable to load." It turns out that Word uses an InfoPath DLL to make this function work. The name of the DLL is IPEDINTL.DLL. In my case the DLL was missing hence the error message. After replacing the DLL, it functioned just fine. For some reason some of the "%systemDrive%\Microsoft Office\office12\1033" file folder was installed in another location.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Worked for me, thanks! - joe

Unknown said...

The solution to my problem as well! Thanks.

ElectronJockey said...

Wow -- you are *truly* a stud. How did you possibly find this really esoteric solution?

I've found that those files were moved to the "Microsoft Web Designer Tools\Office12\1033" folder -- instead of being in "Microsoft Office\Office12\1033" -- as you said, that folder is in two sections.

Do you have any idea why these files were suddenly moved or transposed? And why to this MS Web Designer Tools location?

FYI -- I also have Word 2003 installed, but, rarely use it -- however, this problem only crept up recently (I think), and I got a "Initializing Word 2007" -esque message when starting up Word 2007 a few days ago -- the same type that appears after I've used Word 2003, though I don't recall having done so.
I wonder if this is when the problem started, or, if the message was another symptom of the files having been transposed.

Btw -- should all the files from the transposed 1033 folder be copied, or, just the "ipedintl.dll" file?

Anyway, again - Great Job!